Friday 19 December 2008

You must be satisfied with it!


I'm a 100-yen kind of person. The coin, worth about 50p (or probably about twice as much as that by the time you get to the end of this post, given the fall in the pound) is king of the 100-yen shop, like the pound-stretcher shops in the UK, only the stuff they carry is a lot better made (China is closer to here you know) -- and there is no social stigma to shopping in the places. Where would I be without the 100-yen-shop? Well, I wouldn't have the following:
  1. A wallet with the following plastic label still on after a year: "We would like to hand our goods to you. You must be satisfied with it!" 
  2. A metal meishi (business card) holder
  3. White board markers for the classroom
  4. Baskets for, er, putting other 100-yen-value things in
  5. A wall clock (actually, it cost 300-yen, but who's quibbling)
  6. A whisk for whipping cream for the Christmas trifle I promised to make this year
  7. A cupboard full of glasses, bowls and mugs all from the local 100-yen emporium
The list goes on. And I never tire of asking assistants in the shop "How much is that?" and watching their pained attempt to explain to the dimwit foreigner that everything is 100 yen. "Really, and how much is that?"

As they say in America, I really must get out more often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to leave this message on your other blog, so may I leave it here?

Glad to see you're keeping up the Sherriff Christmas tradition! Just one thing, the quantity of sherry should be 40ml not 100ml - or was that a deliberate mistake?

Our Man in Abiko said...

Ah, that explains it. I'll make the change forthwith...