Tuesday 27 January 2009

My home is my castle


So, you don't post anything for a week and when you do, all I get is a picture of the side of a block of flats? Yes, rubbish eh? Well, I've been a bit busy what with teaching (got three new students signed up this month - don't they know there's a recession on?), doing unpaid work for Our Man in Abiko (go on, cut and paste that into google and see what you get) and now practising to play Hey Jude in front of hundreds of people (maybe). I got roped into playing in a family's community-centre variety show after my protestations that "I'm not very good" were taken as modesty, rather than the truth that they really were. The organiser, the father of one of my students, then told me I also have to play Sing by the Carpenters. In Japanese. The Beatles have a song for it: Help! Oh, and I ran a 10k race on Sunday - time was 52 minutes, since you ask.

Anyway, so what's with the side of a building? Well, I noticed it while dropping the youngest off at nursery the other day. Just thought the, how you say, utilitarian nature of the corrugated aluminium walls contrasted oddly with the flowery name. Allow me to crop a little closer...

5 comments:

Jane said...

Well done for your run! 1 minute faster and you would have beaten my best time!!! We'll have to skype soon. You about on the weekend?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photo of utilitarian corrugated iron - very nice! And remember - keep practising Hey Jude! Apparently it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become really good at anything. Not long to go....

Anonymous said...

10,000 hours you say? Should I tell my students that, think they are hoping to master English a bit quicker than that. I doubt John Lennon practiced his scales for 10,000 hours, he doesn't seem the type.

But will ganbaru!

Jane, yes weekend is good, Sunday morning 11am Blighty time?

Jane said...

Sounds good to me! Speak then Pat. Good luck with the 10, 000 hours too!!! lol

Anonymous said...

Well, apparently, the Beatles did practise and practise in the sense that when they were playing in Hamburg, they would play sometimes for twelve hours at a stretch every day for several months. The 10,000 hours applies to top-rate musicians, sports people, computer nerds, etc. (We gleaned this from a new book by Malcolm Gladwell.) Anyway, carry on ganbaruing.