Tuesday 22 April 2008

Hot stuff

A close family friend said this blog was fluffy and Apocalyptic in equal measure, but does provide a snapshot of my life. Thanks, that is the primary goal, to shed a little light on the world as I know it, and sorry about all the doom and gloom and unrelenting fluff that is the stuff of my life. I watched the telly for the first time in a week last night, I didn't feel like joining the Sunderland v. Newcastle match as Newcastle was already winning 2-0 and while looking for a film, Yoshie and I found ourselves getting into a documentary that turned out to be An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore's slide show about global warming. It was actually very entertaining, (fluffy in an Apocalyptic way) and reminded me of a definition of politics that I had forgotten - politics is showbiz for the ugly. Gore came across as, while a little self-important, an intelligent, compassionate man passionate about the environment and gave an excellent, folksy summary of what a mess we have made of our planet, without hugging a tree once. If only he had shown that kind of passion and ability to communicate when he was up against Bush Jr, what a different world we might have now. It was a good film, despite some minor quibbles I could make,  and was determined to end on a positive note, saying that it was not too late and we could all make a difference. Hmmm, we'll see. Yoshie did comment after the documentary, "Well, we don't really need a car after all, do we?" - words that I may have to remind ourselves of when the message of the Inconvenient Truth has been conveniently forgotten.

No comments: