Thursday 3 April 2008

No more gardening on TV

There used to be a lovely house just round the corner. It had something rare in Japan - a messy front garden with two 30-year-old televisions decaying by the road. All it lacked was a pickup on blocks and it could have been out Greenbriar way in Faulkner County, Arkansas. As it was, it provided me with the best joke I have come up with since moving to Japan. On the top of the TV cabinets the owners had put some potted plants. Whenever I passed by on my bicycle with K-chan, who has mastered two wheels now, I would say, "Is there anything good on TV... no I see it's still gardening." She would laugh (at me), knowing I had made a Dad joke. Anyway, the house and TVs are no more, they have been flattened and I wonder what will sprout up in their place. This being Japan, we won't have to wait long to find out. In a month there could well be a multi-story apartment complex. Watch this space, I will be.  

2 comments:

Jason said...

Good joke Pat. You still have that wild sense of humour. Nice to read your blog. You are about as fluffy and apocalyptic as me. Keep up the good work!

Our Man in Abiko said...

Cheers Jay. Just doin' my job, Ma'am. You ever thought of doing a blog?