Monday 14 April 2008

In the running

Guess what I was doing at 8am this rainy Sunday morning? Sleeping off a well-earned hangover? Eating pancakes with the kids? No, I was huffing and puffing round Teganuma Lake in a worn-out T-shirt, paint-splattered shorts and trainers. After a few beers with my neighbour back at Christmas we agreed it would be a great idea to run the Teganuma half-marathon in long-distant October. Well, it's not so distant now and training started today. We ran with his 58-year-old colleague. I thought it was just a 3km trial run, but we got to the little bridge 20-odd minutes into the run and his colleague said, "Well, that's three kilometres, let's turn back now." Yikes, 6km in total. Still, we made it back to base only a little out of breath, although my neighbour's friend had barely broken a sweat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two Haikus for our homework!

Your internet blog
sends a cherry blossom tree
thousands of miles home. (Dad)

Pure white petalled cups
borne on bare winter branchds
speak to us of Spring. (Margaret)

Lots of love Dad & Margaret

Anonymous said...

I knew I should have previewed it! For 'branchds' read 'branches'!

M

Our Man in Abiko said...

Well done you two, 10 points each. But Margaret, you must try harder on your spelling next time.

Nice to receive
but always re-read before
you hit 'publish'. (Patrick)