Sunday 27 July 2008

Here we go again

The ancient Greeks (if my memory of school history lessons is still accurate) believed that human history was doomed to repeat itself in endless cycles of repetition, much like daytime TV's fixation with Angela Lansbury's Murder She Wrote, a poor imitation of Miss Marple if ever I saw one, and don't get me started on Quincy MD, a poor imitation of the Rockford Files. Well, I 'm sure I'm not the first talking head to notice that we seem to be living through the 1970s again. Evidence?
  1. Words like stagflation and devaluation are back in newspaper editorials.
  2. America is involved in a deeply unpopular foreign civil war in the third world.
  3. Britain has an inept Labour prime minister devoid of vision who seems to be begging to be replaced. Click here for an example of how bad it has got for Labour.
  4. I spend most of my time wearing shorts.
  5. Denim is cool again.
  6. Bjorn Borg was at Wimbledon this year.
  7. Er, Abba is still popular.
  8. OK, I'm losing the thread here a bit.
  9. And, no I'm not nostalgic about Raleigh Chopper bikes and pocketeers. Moutain bikes and Gameboys are much better anyway.
  10. Fawlty Towers is still the best sit com ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glasgow east was four days ago and i'm still laughing.

seriously,old jonah has some problems.apparently,they're blaming the bad weather in the east of england on him as he's holidaying there.