Friday 22 August 2008

Half a million reasons not to commute

A joy of working from home is I don't have to brave the Tokyo commuter trains. I remember being squeezed onto Tozai line trains 10 years ago and getting so scrunched up that I couldn't move to prevent the beads of sweat from the forehead of the bloke next to me dripping onto my shoulder. But almost equally annoying were the incessant announcements to inform you of the blinking obvious. 
  • "Attention, attention, Platform 2. There is a train coming. It will be coming shortly. Please don't stand close to the platform edge."
  • "Attention, attention the train is now approaching."
  • "Be careful, there is a train here. Be careful getting in because the doors will shut automatically."
  • "Be careful now you are on the train because the doors will shut behind you."
  • "At the next stop, the doors on the left side will open, automatically. Please be careful." 
And so it goes on, and on at every stop. There are about a dozen stations from here to Ueno, downtown Tokyo, so in a single day the poor commuter, let's call him Mr Abiko, will be told that the doors are automatic (wow, really? They close all by themselves?) on at least three dozen occasions. Over his lifetime, Abiko-san will be told about the magical mystery doors on the train he takes every day at least half a million times, by my calculations. You'd think the odd yearly reminder in the post would be more than enough.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the worst thing is when you add up how much time you spend on commuting in a year.depressing.I know people who commute from leicester to London on the basis that it's quickert than the northern line.

currently,I cycle 5 mins to work.boootiful.

Our Man in Abiko said...

But I used get through a novel a week when I commuted between Leicester and Nottingham, and Kasai and Otamachi in Tokyo. Somehow, I never find the time now my commute is about 30 seconds from futon to classroom.

The next book on my list, you'll be glad know Dr D, is by very dead author Gibbons - The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Seems apt given the woes of the current world order...

Anonymous said...

a stunning read.and truly a lesson for our times.note though that the italian economy is still around..

fair enough.I take it back about the commute.if you read it's ok.clogging up the roads is bad.

Gibbon is most certainly dead,

was jsut at Julians bookshop today and he'd lost my patrick o brien book.but assures me it is now found for my next visit..relief

Our Man in Abiko said...

Great, you won't regret getting into O Brian. He was prolific, but surprisingly good. Once you have read him in paperback, start collecting his first editions, they attract a pretty penny, ask Julian.