Thursday 7 August 2008

Hiroshima

I forgot to mention, but yesterday was one of the biggest anniversaries marked in Japan - Hiroshima. Every year the papers are full of discussions on the morality of the decision to bomb and, quite rightly, conclude that war is a bad thing. If you want to learn about the Second World War, Japan is probably not the best place to be - every April (the start of the school year here) there are debates about officially approved high school textbooks that skirt the issue of Korean women forced into prostitution during the war, and descriptions of the Nanking Massacre as little more than a picnic that got out of hand. My wife's sum knowledge of the Second World War from Japanese high school is Pearl Harbor happened in 1941 and then Japan was A-bombed mercilessly in 1945. Blame (and detail) is never attached, merely the bland truism "war is bad". Mind you, in the midst of an Anglo-American occupation of Iraq, I don't feel I can get on my high horse and lecture Japan about virtue in war. One of my students grew up in Hiroshima and her grandmother and grandfather were in the city when it was struck. They were lucky that they lived on the outskirts of the city and the day of the bomb the father called in sick. Just as well. His factory and workmates were obliterated. If he had been feeling well that day, I would have had one fewer student today.  She can still remember playing in her grandparents' house and touching scorched wood that was left from the blast.I asked if her grandparents harboured any ill feeling towards Americans and Westerners after witnessing the horror of Hiroshima. "Oh, no," she said, "war is bad, not people."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting entry on Hiroshima. Why don't you expand it a bit and submit it to the Guardian Weekly column? Do it quickly, and by e-mail, and it might get in for next week while it's still reasonably topical.

Our Man in Abiko said...

Hmm. Tempting, I'll see what I can do.

Anonymous said...

interesting insight Paddy,well worth sending off.

Anonymous said...

that's whats intersting about your blog.Japan is a culture country I have zero knowledge of.

Our Man in Abiko said...

Know what you mean there doc. I'm still feeling my way through the maze of life that is Japan with both hands tied behind my back, er, or somethng.

Our Man in Abiko said...

Well, Dad and Doctor, I sent off a beefed up version of this post, we'll see if it materialises anywhere else in the ether.

Jane said...

Good for you Pat! I'd print it if I was the sub-editor!

Loving all the pics and videos. Wonder who told you about the video function on your camera eh?!

x

Our Man in Abiko said...

You did. Hey, I just got back from the local library (yeah, my rock n roll lifestyle) and they had an interesting exhibition of photos from Hiroshima. Pretty harrowing. If my photos come out ok, I'll put them on the blog as a slideshow.

Yeah, you told me about the digicam as they call em here. Any other techno marvels I should be aware of?