Sunday 21 September 2008

Back from the big city

Grub's up! The kids make rice balls for tea.

Well, I survived a night out in Tokyo, catching up with former colleagues at the Daily Yomiuri and enjoying a great Canadian/British pub in Meguro (a posh area of Tokyo) called The Black Lion. I enjoyed it a little too much, and fell asleep on the train home on the Yamanote line, which circles central Tokyo, missed my connecting train and ended up stranded in the big city at 1:30am. However, by the glories of modern communication, my resourceful wife back home found a hotel for me and guided me safely there like an operative helping Jack Bauer save the world on 24 armed only with truth, justice and a mobile phone. Anyway, we had a lazy Sunday and the kids helped make tea - Swedish meatballs and onigiri (balls of rice with salmon, wrapped in seaweed). It's lovely to be home.

"I'm all alone in the big city, I need your help..."


"There's a hotel round the corner, I've made the reservation, they are expecting you."

5 comments:

Jane said...

Nice one! Didn't you end up in a strange city on your way back from another night out here in the UK a while back?

Our Man in Abiko said...

That was 10 years ago. Fell asleep on a train to Chester from London, ended up spending the night in Manchester airport. Very uncomfortable chairs.

Anonymous said...

it's gonna be intersting when you lecture the kids on the perils of drinking.Hope me and timmy are there................

Our Man in Abiko said...

I'll just tell them to always change at Crewe when going to Chester.

Anonymous said...

'I'll just tell them to always change at Crewe when going to Chester.'
:)