Monday 1 September 2008

I missed the party

My Grandma's favourite party, the Democrats,  got through another convention and I missed every speech, other than catching the end of a CNN broadcast here that said Barack Obama's final address was watched by 38 million Americans - more than those who watched the final of American Idol. I'm still not convinced that enough Americans are prepared to vote for a black man and an aging Washington insider over a war hero and a redneck mother of five, but I will gladly eat my words and celebrate should Obama manage to defeat the forces of evil massed against him. Whether he turns out to be anything more than your typical paid-for politician remains to be seen. But I find it sad that Obama is now criticised for being too good an orator. I suppose if Abraham Lincoln were running now, he wouldn't stand a chance (sorry Abe, you are too good at speaking to large crowds, you don't have the common touch). By the way, don't forget to vote in the Tower Tales poll too on the right. You only have until November 4th you know. Lastly, I saw this three score and 10 minutes ago on America's finest news source, and thought I would share it with you good folk (click on the play button):

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

btw,your navy is very impressive.where do you plan to invade?
anywhere good?

Our Man in Abiko said...

Would-be-presidents always try to balance their tickets - unknown fellow with liberal background chooses older conservative is a set pattern - JFK a Massachusetts liberal Catholic plumped for Lyndon B. Johnson, a Texan good-ol-boy senator for that very reason (though to be fair, LBJ would have proved more a reforming liberal if Vietnam hadn't dragged him down).

Picking Hillary would have enthused the Democratic Party, but would have lost the conservative hinterland. I think , though I wish it weren't so, McCain is going to pull an upset victory. In his VP he has enthused his own party and said to the voters , "Hey, we ain't the party you thought we were." They are of course, but it's all about image.

Yep. McCain will make it. You read it here first, folks. Mind you, there are still the presidential debates to come, but barring disasters, I fear the Democrats will be little more than jam to put on the toast of the economy, or something.

Our Man in Abiko said...

The Abiko Imperial Navy is a strictly self-defence force. Though, I think they should head south for the winter, somewhere like New Zealand. Now that would be a trip worth videoing for Tower Tales...

Anonymous said...

mmm... pacific ocean in a paddle boat.would be interesting if nothing else.

to be honest paddy,wehn i saw that pick and the way she performed at the anouncement,I thought she was great(in terms of McCain winning).A very brave pick indeed but I think she could be just wahts needed to enregise their base

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5700022&page=1

the fact that some left wing bloggers are already spreading some pretty malicious things says it all about what/who you should bet on.

I have to agree,it is OBs to lose and i think he will.This US election I think there's gonna be a whole new level of focus on the VPs and Biden just does not cut it.he nicked a whole speech off neil kinnock for heavens sake.........you couldnt make it up.

to me OB is just too tony blair,looks good,sounds great but that tiem was ten years ago.Hilary would have won it I think,I really do.She was tough as nails.someone is going to have to face down the big guns on wall st re govt bail outs of busted financial institutions,I think Palin/MCCain could be the one to do it(hilary would have),OB/Biden(particulalry the latter) are just not tough enough.

who would you have gone for instead of biden?

Anonymous said...

£10 million bucks in two days!!!

Our Man in Abiko said...

Bruce Springsteen.

Anonymous said...

very shrewd....bit a showbiz,always works.barbara streisand would be better thoguh,demographic wise

Anonymous said...

a day is a long time in poliotics,now polticalbetting.com reckon McCain has blown it with Palin.

hoenstly,some people jsut can't make their mind up.My money is now going on the sure thing that is BO and that great VP pick Joe biden.

Hilary who?

yours sincerely
DK

Anonymous said...

http://politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2008/09/02/has-mccain-blown-it-with-the-palin-pick/

Anonymous said...

http://www.cartoonistgroup.com/properties/Wuerker/art_images/mw1080526_lr.jpg

Our Man in Abiko said...

Spot on there, Anon.