Friday 19 September 2008

Mean streets of Kounoyama



Japan, as we all know, is a very law-abiding, safe country. But I have to report a disturbing increase in crime. According to the local council newsletter, in our neighbourhood of Kounoyama, with I think 1,000 or so households, one bicycle was stolen. Granted, this was for a three-month period, but it was the first bike to be nicked in a year or so since we've lived here. And look at that picture of a park bench... what may be a typical sight in Vicky Park, Leicester, is something of a rarity round these parts. It wasn't me, I hasten to add, I gave up smoking years ago. I can only blame the youth of today, which brings me to a nice little quote I found in a textbook the other day: 
Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders; they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers.

Who spoke these wise words? Sarah Palin? Barack Obama? Boris Johnson? No, it was in fact Socrates, who died in 399BC. But I bet even he couldn't solve the riddle of the lake

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice quote paddy,nothing changes does it?

I think you should become a sleuth and solve the crime.you could take the video camera and get one of the kids to film the unveiling of the killer in the library(because by then someone will have died-they always do in the shows I watch.you know,what starts off as an innocent investigation in to bike thievery becomes a murder.every time.)

By the way,a mate of mine,Dan,is heading over to japan in December for a holiday...on his own...eeeeeek.

How far are you from tokyo?have checked on multimap and all the names are in japanese?go figure!whats that all about.does noone speak english there?

he's a Clarendon regular.I can send him to bore you over a few beers if you want?

Our Man in Abiko said...

I'm 40 minutes by commuter train from Tokyo. Be happy to meet up with your mate in Tokyo or here if he can stand the pace of Abiko...

Anonymous said...

think he's more worried about the local navy than the pace of life.will pass him your mail.he's a good laugh.much as I slag him off,but then thats what mates do isn't it?