Monday 29 September 2008

Who needs a little help?

While managing to kill the best part of Saturday evening checking e-mail, radically redesigning this blog and then returning it as best I could to the way it was before, I managed to do at least one worthwhile thing. I remembered to donate a little money  to sponsor my brother-in-law who spent Saturday night and Sunday morning cycling 75 miles (125km) cross-country in the dark. Why would he do a thing like that? I'm not sure, but every penny he raised is going to a charity seeking a cure for cystic fibrosis, a life-shortening disease that my niece and nephew were born with. Donating was easy, all I had to do was click on his web page and enter a few numbers, and I felt great, a lot better than my brother-in-law did on Sunday morning, I'd wager. But it got me thinking. I'm running the Teganuma Half-Marathon on October 26th. It's a good opportunity for me to raise some money for charity, but which one should I support? Any suggestions?

Oh, by the way, rest in peace Paul Newman, a rare gent in the Hollywood world who raised more than his fair share for charities. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about a local charity? Are there any?

Our Man in Abiko said...

There must be, but I'm not aware of any, Will investigate. I thought an educational charity might be apt.

Anonymous said...

how about
'the association for the assimilation of ex-rich investment bankers into the real world'

lot of pent up demand I hear

Our Man in Abiko said...

I don't think they need any more of the public's money.

Anonymous said...

to be fair I laughed my pants off when the US public managed to persuade House of reps to kick out Paulsons'let's bail my old buddies out' bill.Truly a day for democracy.The people of the US bombarded their reps with email and fax and calls to the point that the only people voting for it either had a safe seat or were retiring.

the finer detail was just unbelievable in the scope of the powers and moeny Pualson could dispense at his whim

yours in joy but still expecting a recession
DK