Thursday 4 September 2008

More rain than you can shake a stick at

Now, regular readers will know I do like a bit of torrential rain to liven up an otherwise slow news day, so imagine my delight when Yoshie returned to base from a groceries sortie drenched to the bone and reporting rising flood waters outside our house the other day. My first instinct? Issue lifejackets to the kids? Call a plumber? No, of course not, it was to run out into the street with my camera to film the mayhem. And here it is:


OK, not that much mayhem, but wait, here comes another car...


I'd just got through christening the area Lake Tower English (or Towernuma in Japanese) when it stopped raining and within 30 minutes all the water had gone. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if lex saw a puddle that big he'd be straight in it.It does seem that when it rains ovber there,it really rains.same in new zealand.

Our Man in Abiko said...

How is Lex? Rude of me not to have asked before. How old is he?

Anonymous said...

he's coming up to two in dec.he's a big old boy.carrying him now takes some effort but he seems happy,healthy and well adjusted and thats all that matters to me.

folowing onm,I haev a couple of cousins growing up in Singapore.their Mum is SIngaporean and is constantly worrying about them only getting 90% in exams,is that what it's like for the girls or is the educational system not as obsessed with results.

over here,man,it's going mad,if you don't get 5 starred A's you're dumb.not like when we were at school.

simple reality is that they're dropping the standards but noone in govt cares as long as the reuslts are good.can you post about the education system there sometime.would be interesting.

Our Man in Abiko said...

Your wish is my command. Will have a think about education and such.

Certainly, there is a deeper obsession with exam results, and the fear of failure is much greater here - many people believe there is no way back from messing up your high school results. It adds an unnecessary pressure to kids in my opinion, but I seem to be a lone voice in my household arguing for a more relaxed approach to our kids' attainment in school.

There is good stuff going on at primary school level - Katherine's summer homework was to grow some seeds, draw a picture of what resulted, make something (she made a karaoke box out of newspaper and cardboard) and write a book report.

Hmmm. Let me think about it and I'll post something worthwhile next week or so.