Wednesday 8 October 2008

New chapter for Tower English


Did I mention I like books? Did you know I teach, that I have two children and I'm running round Teganuma, the half-marathon-sized lake near my house? Enough questions already. Well, after reading about the late Paul Newman's achievements for charity, I thought I would emulate him in a small way and do something worthwhile that combines my passions. So, I've decided to seek sponsorship for my epic trek round Teganuma to raise some money for Book Aid, a charity that distributes books to the poorest communities in the world. For those new to giving online, here's how it works:
  1. Click on my sponsorship page, or on the "widget" on the right.
  2. Enter how much money you would like to donate (in pounds - there are about ¥200 to one pound), and write a message, or donate anonymously.
  3. Fill out the online credit card details.
  4. The money will then be sent directly to the charity.
  5. I then huff and puff round Teganuma.
Book Aid reckons that for every five pounds (¥1,000) donated, they can distribute four books to people in the poorest area of the world, sub-Saharan Africa. Why books and not food and medicine? There are other charities that do that, but I believe that knowledge is power and what you can learn from reading might save a life, teach new skills vital to escape poverty, or at the very least, give children a window on the world. If we could raise 250 pounds (¥50,000) that would mean 200 books for those in need. What do you say? I've donated 20 pounds (¥4,000) from Tower English's coffers to get started, can you add to that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

paddy.stoneygate telephone exchange flooded due to burts water main.internet sporadic.

..edit to say news from leicester

Our Man in Abiko said...

I wondered what had happened to you. I thought maybe the financial crisis had sent you into a funk.

Anonymous said...

no been unable to trade for four days how funny is that.most important period in my lifetime and I'm out:)

off away for two weeks with the TA.see you around the 26th

take care big buddy