Monday 2 June 2008

Battle stations



Katherine had a great time at the undokai - her primary school's annual sports day. Which is just as well, because I was at the school from 7am to 3pm or so. And I got off lightly... As you can see from the pictures, Sports Day, or sports festival as it is usually translated, is a big deal in Japan. It is a cross somewhere between It's a Knockout and Triumph of the Will. I was at the school so early because you have to reserve your space around the field or in the hall with a picnic sheet. The early birds catch the, er, spots with the best views and most shade. I thought I would get a reasonable spot, but no, I ended up having to share a picnic sheet with two neighbouring families... and our view? Couldn't see much from behind the grand piano at the back of the gymnasium. Turns out the folk who got the best real estate queued from 1.30am. I kid you not. No egg and spoon races here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the photos! It looks a lot more organised than the sports days we remember!

Jane said...

Wow!!! Think I might show my head and see what she thinks! On second thoughts....not sure we could ever organise something as organised as that! Loved the pics though! I am having a Japanese week soon at school and will be able to show the pics too!