Friday 27 June 2008

How knowing nothing increases knowledge

I'd say that my two kids' English and Japanese is on an almost equal footing, and that's thanks to my family's collective ignorance. The giri-no-shacho, my mother-in-law, can speak no English and I can speak little Japanese. As a result, my children have enormous benefits - in England they had to use Japanese to communicate with their Grandma, and in Japan I am a constant thorn in the side of Japanese domination. They always have to talk to me in English, and Japanese with the matriarchs. One beneficial side-effect is that they can translate almost at will between the languages, without us ever teaching x in English is y in Japanese, so to speak. I'll say to Emma: "Tell Grandma dinner's ready," and she'll dutifully trot off upstairs and say "Baa-chan, gohan da-yo!" Ignorance is the best education. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats amazing paddy and to be fair it will give them an incredible oppurtunity down the line.

do you find it hard not speaking the lingo?or do you just get used to it.Is it isolating?how do you stay sane?

been away on the lash in a really rough resort in Spain.there are loads of English people living there whoi think Sapnish is a foreign l;anguage.

Our Man in Abiko said...

I have a few old friends around from my first stay in Japan 10 years ago and there's an English chap who lives a five-minute walk from my house, though he is a bit of a rugger man, but we go for a drink or watch Rugby/footy on the telly occasionally. Skype is dead useful too to see the family back in Blighty every week. But yeah, sometimes you need another outlet... welcome to Tower Tales.