Friday 13 June 2008

Solution for school-time jams

We used to worry about an impending nuclear war, then it was Aids, global warming, Y2K, and Islamic terrorism. What's the next nightmare facing civilisation? As regular readers will know (yes, I have about six or seven - and not all of them related to me either) my money is on the looming energy crisis. When I started this blog in March with a little news feed to topics of interest to me at the bottom of the page (go on, check it out) the keywords "oil crisis" used to dredge up odd-ball articles from the religious right and scare stories from the fringy left, but sadly now the term "oil crisis" gets a lot more mainstream coverage. American news services and the financial press blame the stark rise in the price of oil on China, speculators and OPEC, but most articles are quick to suggest that while we might have to pay more for oil, it's not like we are running out or anything. I read an article today from the Bloomsberg financial empire that said it was just that demand keeps rising while supply has been falling. Er, right, so that means we are using increasingly more oil, and we are drilling less and less. Doesn't that mean we are running out? It's just a matter of time, but when we have eventually turned every last drop of oil into packaging for Barbie dolls and go-juice for our seven-seater mini-vans, at least that will have solved one problem - there will be nothing left to add to global warming. Oh, and parking won't be such a hassle at school home time. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't worry about the rpice of oil Paddy,the futures recently spiked higher than the spot price,looks like there's a fair bit of speculation going on.

but you're right the sooner we run out and starve the less problems we'll have parking our horse and carts.

Our Man in Abiko said...

Till then, we should make hay while the Datsun Sunny shines. Futures and spots are all double dutch to me, so to speak...

Anonymous said...

double dutch,you're a perceptive man.how's life treating you?

Our Man in Abiko said...

Ahh, twas easy. Not many people I know would know their futures from their elbows and even fewer have only just joined Facebook... and know me as Paddy. Life is good, thanks. Self-employed and paying the bills so cannae complain. Any chance of a visit out Far East way? And hows about you? Any kids/wives etc I should know about?

Anonymous said...

met samantha a few years back,we have a little boy named Lex.we live in knighton at the minute but she wants to move back to Groby-----I know--which to me is firmly on the dark side.

Havent travelled in years.

Currently battening down the hatches for the recession that's coming our way.Economically,I think the UK's about to get battered by a tidal wave of debt.

Japan is a very good place to sit this one out Paddy,Japan is one of the few things that on the whole i'd be long of, on a fundamental basis adn thats because it's coming out a brutal period of deflation just as we're entering one.With all those lovely yen,you'll be buying up whole housing estates in a year or two and renting them back to us,your old friends, via the DSS.

Suffice to say that I don't think Brown has been that prudent a Chancellor,but that's not to say the Tories would have done much differently under Cameron.

Same old,same old I guess,always been a natural bear/cynic.

Do you blog about japanese politics much?

Our Man in Abiko said...

Groby's not so bad. Close to Bradgate Park for one thing. Hmm Japanese politics, OK I'll give it a go...

Anonymous said...

I'm interested because over here,we get zero coverage and I mean zero!

I'm a political anorak and I couldn't name a single party over there...liberal? always worth a guess.