Tuesday 24 June 2008

A head for culture

Ah, Japanese culture: kabuki, karaoke, sumo and sushi. What best sums up the Japanese experience? Why a trip to the barber's of course. My ginger locks were reaching critical mass on Sunday so I thought I'd pop down to the ¥1,000 (five pounds/10 dollars) barber shop across the railroad tracks. It's a functional, high-tech sort of place. You put your ¥1,000 note in a machine and it spits out a credit-card like chitty (stop sniggering at the back there, I said chitty, not... er, never mind). Anyway, you sit on a bench and move along one space until you get to the end and it's your turn. You hand in your token, tell the chap or lady hair technician (it's hard to tell sometimes, they are wearing a surgical mask over their face):  "Ni senchi onegaishimasu!" (Two centimeters off please!) And in 10 minutes flat the haircut is complete, your head is vacuumed (I mean, really...) and you are out on the street. So, as you can imagine, it was with some relief that my wife suggested spending a bit more (¥4,000) and getting a proper haircut. So I went, a little sheepishly, to a new place called Hair Works Yoshiro. Wow, what a difference. Suddenly, you are not a minor cog in the utilitarian machine, but something more traditionally Japanese - an honoured guest. My hair was washed twice, I got a back and head massage (stop sniggering, or you can go home now), my hair was cut with scissors, my eyebrows got a trim, the manager introduced himself and entertained me with card tricks and I was presented with all three employees' business cards, a free jar of hair wax, a plastic thimble used to give shiatsu massages and an envelope with a ¥1,000 note in to take home for some reason I couldn't fathom. The door was held open for me as I sauntered off into the evening amid a chorus of thank-yous from the staff. I looked down at my watch and saw I had been there for two hours. And I learnt two new words from chatting to senior stylist Emiko: "sappari" - neat and tidy, and "jikka" - hometown or parents' homestead.  Oh and here are my trimmed eyebrows, whaddaya think?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's when they trim your nasal hair without you asking that it gets embarassing.

wish I had 2cm of hair to cut.

Dr datsun Kildare...but you can call me Dr Kildare

Our Man in Abiko said...

I've got more than 2cm in my ears. Emma called me Hairy Potter today and laughed maniacally.

Anonymous said...

'Hairy Potter '

paddy are the kids completely bilingual.My mate lives in switzerland and the kids understand english but speak to him in german I think and he replies in english.How does it work.

Anonymous said...

'Hairy Potter 'meant to say lol!

Our Man in Abiko said...

Bilingual kids? Ooh, I feel a blog entry coming on...

Our Man in Abiko said...

By the way, Dr D, what's your experience of bilingualism?

Anonymous said...

Trimmed eyebrows, eh! Puff!

Our Man in Abiko said...

But I think they set off my hazel eyes just perfectly...