Saturday 14 June 2008

Names to reckon with

While racing through a bowl of spaghetti at lunch today - between lessons teaching toddlers the difference between up and down; and adults the difference between present continuous and present simple (I am drinking a bottle of wine vs I drink a bottle of wine every night) - I had a chance to compile a list of strange but true names of people that I or my wife have known. OK, they are not in the league of Major Bumsore (author of Sliding Down the Banister) or Theresa Green, the environmentalist, but these names have the added value of being real. And the winners are... honourable mention Johnny Dollar (an American reporter colleague of mine), in third place Ronald MacDonald (my brother's English teacher), second place Dave Mountainhike (my wife's colleague at Toyota) and towering above the rest is... Chez Burger (an American working for Johnson and Johnson). Have you got any to add? 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a mate worked at an investment bank called micheal hunt.people used to ring up new lady members of staff adn get them to shout over the floor,is Mike.... around.

sorry it's the only one I know

Our Man in Abiko said...

But it's a good 'un.

Jane said...

Well, Matt's sister's school friend was called Wayne Kerr and a current customer at his work is called Gary Chicken!

My PE teacher at school was also called Mr Jelly!

Bod said...

Your inspiring blog inspired me to raise the funny names thing at a BBQ this weekend and while several were suggested the only one that stuck in my booze addled mind was from my friend. She works at a college and has had two students called Jenna Taylor....
I blame the parents!

Anonymous said...

I went to school with a kid called Luke Walker..middle name Sky...no lie

Unknown said...

How could you fail to mention Roger Myring, landlord of The Smithfield pub in Derby? I know you were a good customer Patrick.

And my mum once met someone called Dana Drain. She swears it's true.

But my favourite was a man I only spoke to on the phone for something or other. His name was Peter Buttifant. I bet smiles follow him wherever he goes...

Lynwen

Jane said...

Just remembered another one...

Matt used to know a girl whose Mum was called Onya Marks! And the kids were called Getset and Go! Just kidding about that bit but she really was called Onya Marks.