Tuesday 10 June 2008

Obit for the special relationship

Here's a little (true) story about the difference between American and British English. In my first job as a budding reporter at the Conway Log Cabin Democrat, in between picking up McDonalds breakfasts and massaging weather reports to make everywhere outside of the circulation area unbearably hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter, I would write obituaries. A typical obit in Conway, back in the early '90s at anyrate, went like this: John "Jack" Jones, 72, a farmer, of Vilonia, died on Tuesday of natural causes. He was a Baptist. He is survived by his wife, Jeanie, a son, John "Jack" Jones Jr and a grandchild, John "Jack" Jones III. But every now and then the publisher would get his knickers in a twist over a local dignitary whose time was up, and then the next one down the food chain, the editor, would shout over to me to stop tucking into my sausage and egg "biscuit" and call round the funeral homes to get the phone numbers of next of kin who might give us a juicy quote. On one such occasion I kept ringing the fellow at the last funeral home on the list, but just couldn't get through, so I sauntered over to the editor who was getting quite fraught as the high noon deadline approached, and told him "I tried to give him a ring, but he was engaged." The correct American English should have been "I tried to call him, but the line was busy." My perfectly correct British English in American English meant I was trying to get married to the poor chap who was betrothed to another. My long-suffering editor's head just sank further into his hands.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed your British/American English story. Here's mine. I asked a fellow MA student what she was planning to do over the summer. 'I'm going to riding school,' she replied. How interesting, I thought; what a change from dull old books and study. To be out in the open air, the creak of saddle leather and the companionable rhythm of a good-natured horse. 'And have you been riding long or will this be the first time you've tried such a thing?' 'Oh, I've been riding for years, in fact, I've already written two novels and I'm planning a third,' she replied.

Our Man in Abiko said...

Yes, I remember being at a loss trying to make an Arkansan clerk understand that I wanted some batteries for my Walkman. I tried mime, explnations of how a battery works and its variety of uses in the world, until I finally got my point across by singing "badd-err-eez".

Jane said...

Well, Matt had a great experience at Sonic (fast food joint in Arkansas) when he asked for a medium strawberry milkshake! The guys working there could not understand a word he was saying, I was crying with laughter until finally he put on an American accent....the whole staff gathered round to see the foreign "freaks" and when we gave in our money to our surprise they gave us back more money than we gave!! Serves them right for laughing at us!